Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Color Throwdown 141

This is my second week as guest designer at the Color Throwdown and I absolutely love the colors this week!

I found the aqua an intriguing addition to the other colors, and I couldn't wait to see what I came up with!  I know that probably sounds weird, but often when I sit down to create a card I have absolutely no idea where I'm going to end up!  I chose the Sweet Sunday sketch challenge as a layout and prayed I could make something worthy!

I really like making square cards and I usually make mine 4 1/4-inch so that they fit in a regular A2 envelope.  (Anything to avoid paying the postage surcharge that goes along with mailing a square card)!  Plus that size is so darn cute.  I used Tempting Turquoise for my aqua quite sparingly because I wanted it to be an accent color that sort of stood out.  I colored and outlined a few bits on the stamp and sewed the long thin layer with a zig zag stitch on my mini sewing machine.  At the last minute I decided to sew around the edges of the Rose Red layer with a straight stitch and I'm so glad I did.  I think it really ties it all together.  I thought about stamping the flourish stamp from the Priceless stamp set with Rose Red ink, but embossed it with clear embossing powder instead.  It's a little hard to see (in real life as well as in the picture), so I wish I had gone with my first instinct!

I hope you'll head on over to the Color Throwdown and create something for this challenge.  And don't forget to check out the creations from the design team for loads of inspiration!

Tammy Hershberger
Kristin Eberline
Broni Holcombe
Barbara Anders
Danielle Kennedy
Cathy Indelicato
Kisa Peters
Laura Pryor
Carole Burrage

Thanks for stopping by!

8 comments:

Auntie Em said...

I really like the clear embossing on the red background. It's subtle but so pretty. Like the light touch with the turquoise too.
Thanks for sharing! :)

Tammy Hershberger said...

Darling card, Jen! Great use of the colors and sketch!

Laura Pryor said...

I couldn't agree with Tammy more! This card is darling! I love how you used the colors this week!

dpkennedy said...

It's beautiful Jen! Your stitching was a great addition and I love that embossed flourish!!

Broni said...

It sounds like you make cards the way I do...without a plan! LOL! This one turned out great! It's super "sweet"!!

Cathy Rulli said...

What a fun card! Glad to have you with us this month.

Lea L. said...

This is super cute! I love the fun row of cakes!! Great job with the colors! ♥♥♥

Betty Wright said...

This is wonderful, Jen! Love the different stitches and the clear embossing! Lovely card!