Sunday, May 22, 2011

Paper Players 48 and ColourQ 85

Once again the color challenge at the ColourQ this week was too irresistable!  And combined with the design team samples and the cards others had already uploaded, I was full of inspiration.  Since today is Sunday, I checked out the Paper Players challenge and found I couldn't resist Nance's sketch either!

I wanted to go a little distressed with my card today.  But once I got going I was having a really hard time deciding how I wanted this card to end up.

I had decided on the big butterflies right away, but then I fussed over what I wanted to use for the two small circle images.  First I was going to use a couple of small butterflies, then maybe one butterfly and one button, them maybe some ribbon.  I was all over the map.  Usually when this happens to me, I take a little break and think about something else for a while.  So I did, and when I came back to the table I settled on the pewter colored brads.  I really like how it came out because I think the small butterflies and buttons I was originally going to use were overpowering my big butterfly too much.

I used some very old, Stampin' Up! embossing powder for the sentiment.  I think it must be very old and perhaps it's degrading a bit, because it's not very smooth looking.  I was very glad to see the return of embossing powder in the Summer Mini and I hope this means we've got a good chance of seeing some in the new catalog.  Sometimes, when I want a sentiment to look really bold, I prefer to use embossing powder and the new ones work like a dream!

Thanks for stopping by today!

13 comments:

Lesley said...

Hey Jen,
I was just taking a wee break from housework and saw you uploaded a card! I lurve the colours and the way you used the brads to represent the circles in the sketch! CLEVER!! So happy you play with us at the Paper Players!
Hugs,
Lesley

Nance Leedy said...

Hi Jen! I'm so happy you liked my sketch and I love, love, love what you've done with it!! The Q colors are fab and your silver pearls are very clever indeed. Love to hear you walk away--I do that too and it almost always works for me! It sure did for you here. Thanks for playing along with us this week! ((hugs))

Unknown said...

This is gorgeous, Jen! :) Thanks for playing at CQC this week! :)

savvy teaching tips said...

Beautiful card. Thanks for playing with us at colour Q this week.

Christina said...

Lovely card, Jen! The silver brads worked out perfectly, and I love the subtle depth you added with the sponging. Thanks for joining us at the ColourQ again this week!

Vicky Hayes said...

Love this colour combination and the embossing is gorgeous! Vx

Ann Schach said...

I love how you interpreted the sketch! The embossing is the perfect accent! Thanks for playing with The Paper Players!

LeAnne said...

I love that you combined my two favorite challenges!! LOL! I keep thinking I need these butterfly dies and after seeing this I am even more convinced! Awesome card. I am wondering if the EP sticks to DP differently than regular card stock...could that be the issue with the coverage? From here it looks great! Thanks for playing with the Paper Players this week!

Rita W said...

Beautiful! I love the butterflies and the brads. Great take on the sketch; it works perfectly with those colors! Thanks for playing with the Paper Players. :)

Tui Nathan said...

Love your card ...so simple, but oh so effective!!!

None None said...

This is stunning! I love the brads that you used - such a gorgeous card!

Heidi said...

Great decision on keeping the butterfly the center of attention. The brads are the perfect touch! I'm glad I'm not the only one who has to walk away sometimes when I just can't get the card to look the way I want it to. :) Beautiful card!

Anne Marie Hile said...

Jen, I just love your style! I completely agree that sometimes walking away is the best creative "recharge". Keeping your bold butterfly as the center-of-attention was a perfect choice. Every detail looks gorgeous! Thanks so much for joining us at The Paper Players this week! Hugs! :)