Monday, July 18, 2011

Ben & Deena's Wedding

Hello from Willliamsburg, Virginia!

Although I'm on vacation in beautiful Virginia, I couldn't resist posting a few cards that I made before I left for my trip.  Today I thought I'd show you the card that I made for my nephew's wedding.  If you are a regular reader of my blog, you might remember that I was traveling to Charlottesville, Virginia to see my nephew Ben get married this past weekend.  I wanted to make a special card for him and his bride, and I stumbled on this beauty and knew right away that I would CASE it.  Here's my version:

I wish the color of my flower was as bold as Sandi's but I think it looks pretty nice anyway.  And I didn't think that I had enough basic pearls to fill in all those little circles, so I used Liquid Pearls instead.  I've used Liquid Pearls many times before and have always been happy with how it works, but for some reason I had a problem with it when I made this card.  Instead of looking like a pearl (as it's supposed to), the liquid flattened out and actually inverted itself in some cases so instead of a nice rounded little pearly blob, I ended up with a small pearly volcanic crater!  Not to be discouraged, I added more Liquid Pearls and it ended up looking ok, but I'm still not sure what went wrong.  I think that either the size of my "pearl" was too big and it ended up flattening out as it dried or the humidity in the air caused it to dry that way.  I'll probably experiment with it again to try and determine what went wrong.

I'll leave you with a fun picture of the "Beta Bridge" in Charlottesville.  My nephew met his bride when they were freshman at the University of Virginia.  Apparently there is this bridge (the Beta Bridge) on the grounds of the University that is used by local students who paint it when they want to congratulate someone for one milestone or another.  Apparently, at the last minute, the groom's brother thought it would be a good idea to paint the bridge with a congratulatory message the night before the wedding and he enlisted the help of the wedding party to help.  This is what they came up with.

The right side of the bride has the names of everyone who helped with the painting.  By the way, they painted this at about midnight and I have no idea how they did such a good job in the dark without decent flashlights!  After the wedding ceremony, the newlyweds drove by this and saw the handiwork of their friends and family!  I wish I had seen their faces when they did!

Thanks so much for stopping by today!

2 comments:

Marisa said...

Great card (must get that EF!) adn love the bridge story! Well done to the painters :)

Vicky Hayes said...

Wish I'd seen their faces too! I absolutely love the wedding card Jen - very, very special. Hope you're having a great time!