Sunday, September 18, 2011

FTL158 and Create With Connie and Mary 167

My first thought when I saw the latest color challenge at Create With Connie and Mary was of a Halloween card.
But I saw that quite a few cards from the design team were all about autumn, so I thought I'd make a card  with that theme instead.  I saw a neglected stamp set in my stash called Autumn Splendor so I inked that up for this card and used the Clean and Simple Stamping sketch for my layout.


This sketch was perfect to let leaves take center stage.  I inked up two of them then cut them out so that I could layer them.  Even though you can't see it, the top one is popped up with dimensionals.  The sentiment is from Pocket Silhouettes

I also did something I almost never do.  By wrapping the linen thread around the card base, it is exposed on the inside of the card.  I really don't like doing that.  And I mean I really don't like doing that.  I don't like ribbon showing on the inside of my cards or even the little metal things on brads.  I usually have enough layers on my cards to hide these messy details, but on this card I didn't want a layer on top of the textured Basic Gray cardstock that I used as my base.  So I ended up cutting another piece of Basic Gray and layering it on the inside of the card to cover the thread.  Problem solved!

Thanks so much for stopping by today! 

15 comments:

Vicky Hayes said...

I feel the same about exposed embellishments and ribbon on the inside of cards Jen. I like your solution!

Lesley said...

Love it...clean and gorgeous!

Marisa said...

Great take on the sketch!

Nance Leedy said...

Lovely use of the sketch and our colors Jen! You are the master of color blocking--it always looks clean and effortless! Just gorgeous. Thanks so much for joining us at Create with Connie & Mary!

Carrie Gaskin said...

Very nice. I love this crisp and clean design and your leaves being the pop of Cajun Craze are just perfect. Thanks for playing at CCMC this week Jen!

Lisa Martz said...

Clean and simple card that you could use for any fall occasion. Very nice. Thanks for playing the Create with Connie & Mary Challenge this week!

Deb said...

Beautiful! I am the exact same way about having anything exposed on the inside of my cards! I just love the clean and simple look of this card. So elegant! Thanks for playing the challenge at Create with Connie and Mary!

Jen Timko said...

I love how you used the colors here! Those leaves are wonderful for this sketch and the Linen Thread is exactly the right touch. I feel the same way about the inside of the card. Thanks for the solution!!

Dale Morin said...

Another great card. Love the leaves!

Unknown said...

I LOVE this card. Colors are gorgeous together And the leaves are just the right touch. Blessings, Diane

Linda Callahan said...

I love this sketch and you did a beautiful job with it!

Mary Brown said...

What beautiful simplicity with your design and these colors! LOVE it! Thanks for joining us this week in the Create with Connie and Mary Thursday Challenge!

Debbie Henderson said...

Very pretty card and I like the way you combined the two challenges. Those leaves are so beautiful! Thanks for playing Create with Connie & Mary!

Connie Babbert said...

Elegant simplicity! Love the leaves. Thanks for playing along with our color challenge on Create with Connie and Mary!

Allison said...

So clean and beautiful! Love the leaves - I am going to have to pull out that set again!