Friday, July 6, 2012

The Paper Players 102 and MOJO248

It's Christmas in July over at The Paper Players and I had a hankering to participate.  And since I think it's been ages since I've done a MOJO sketch I added that in too.



The awesome DSP you see is from the ancient Holiday Thyme.  This is one of the classic collections of DSP that I own and almost never cut into because it's just too pretty.  I know it's ridiculous but there you have it.  But as you can see I used some of it here along with some equally ancient Cranberry Crisp cardstock and ribbon (which was from the first-ever collection of In Colors).

Now what I really want to talk about is the snowflake.  What I wanted was a glittery snowflake cut from the Silver Glimmer Paper, but the paper proved too thick for my snowflake punch.  I even tried putting the punch on the floor so that I could press on it with my foot, but I couldn't get the snowflake out of the punch without ripping it.  I tried punching a snowflake with some super-sticky paper and adhering glass glitter to it, but that glitter is too chunky and it made my snowflake a big unrecognizable mess.  So what I ended up doing was punching the snowflake, rubbing some 2 way glue on it, and adhering Dazzling Diamonds to it.  It's not as glittery as I wanted but the real problem is the MESS!  I've got shiny glitter everywhere.  Surely there's a better solution when I want to add some shimmery goodness to a card!  Any suggestions?

Thanks for stopping by and sticking through my glitter rant!

6 comments:

Winnie said...

Love your card. I have to learn to mat my images as nicely as you do. I just bought the perfect layers, hoping that it will help me. I laughed at your glitter story as I was stamping the other day in this heat and without realizing it I poured my glitter on my project...(yep I had a fan on!!) Gllitter everywhere...

Victoria said...

Victoria doesn't do glitter :)
This looks ever so classy. Love the papers and the button on top of that snowflake.
Thanks ever so much for visiting my blog recently :)

Patrice said...

Love that little snowflake! I hope you'll link up at 52 Card Pickup this week!

http://www.oldbackporch.com/2012/07/52-card-pickup-week-27.html

CJT said...

This paper was before my discovery of Stampin' Up, and I can certainly see why you've been hording it! Have you ever tried the heat & stick powder? Drag the punched snowflake through the versamark pad,cover with heat & stick, heat, cover with glitter, heat again. I was pleasantly surprised how it turned out the first time I tried it.

Unknown said...

oooo! Well, I'm glad you finally took the plunge to cut it, because this is SO darling, Jen! Love those diagonal stripes, and the snowflake is the perfect touch! :)

Colorado Crafter said...

Finally someone who admits that the glimmer paper is too thick to punch. I have read on various blogs where they've punched it and I'll never understand how without breaking the punches.

As for glittering, I use ultra fine glitter with the sticky paper so depending what color you use it should give you more sparkle than the dazzling diamonds. I also use liquid adhesive (Art Institute Art Glitter Adhesive) with ultra fine glitter and have great results. You don't have to use ultra fine glitter... you can go with fine or regular depending on the look you prefer.