Tuesday, February 25, 2014

colourQ 230

The other day a co-worker asked me to make her a birthday card for her mother.  She wanted something "nautical" as they are a fishing family (her father was a lobsterman).  I had one nautical stamp in my stash, but the images were better suited to a masculine card so I asked my trusty stamping friend Sylvia if I could borrow a stamp set full of fish and shells.  Of course she said yes!!

Luckily the colors this week at colourQ and the sketch at Create With Connie and Mary were a match made in heaven for the card I had in mind!



The kelp made a nice background for the conch shell and a birthday sentiment.  I added the sea horse as an afterthought and I wish I hadn't.  It looks funny to me, but I suppose a sea horse is probably found lurking in sea kelp so maybe it will grow on me!

These colourQ colors are pretty fab if you ask me (not to mention those to-die-for shoes) so I hope you have chance to join us this week.  Our amazing design team has got some pretty fabulous cards to show you so pop on over and check them out!

Supplies:
Stamps:  By the Tide, Sincere Salutations (SU)
Ink:  Crumb Cake, Summer Starfruit, Cool Caribbean, Basic Black (SU)
Paper:  Cool Caribbean, Basic Black, Crumb Cake, Whisper White (SU)


13 comments:

Deb said...

What a beautiful card! These colors are perfect for this set! Love how you colored the shell! Gorgeous!! Thanks for playing the challenge at Create with Connie and Mary!

Deepti Stephens said...

This is pretty cool, Jen. Thank you so much for dropping by my blog and leaving some love.. <3

Scrappy Géri said...

It's a beautiful card :)

Lisa Elton said...

I love the seahorse, pretty card Jen!!

Tracey McNeely said...

That seahorse is fantastic Jen! Gorgeous card.

Mary Brown said...

LOVE your choice of sets and how you used the seashell for the circle element. And those colors...they really ROCK!!! How unique! Thanks for playing along in the Create with Connie and Mary Thursday Challenge!

Connie Babbert said...

Very fun card and I also love the seashell as the focal element! Great job! Thanks for playing along with the sketch challenge this week on Create with Connie and Mary!

Add Ink and Stamp said...

Love your beach/ocean colors and the way you combined it with the sketch for a beautiful birthday card. Thanks for joining us this week at Create with Connie and Mary.

Margaret Raburn said...

These lovely soft colors work so well with the nautical theme for a woman! The shell looks fab as the focal point, and yes, I like the seahorse! :) Thanks for joining us this week for the sketch challenge at Create with Connie and Mary!

Melissa Davies said...

Love the colorful shell! This card is a beauty! Thanks for joining us in the sketch challenge this week at Create with Connie and Mary!

Lisa Martz said...

Great job on working in two challenges together. Love the way you kept the nautical theme feminine with your color choices and soft images. Thanks for playing the Create with Connie and Mary sketch challenge this week!

Deepti said...

Stunning as always !!

Karren said...

This is gorgeous, Jen! I love how you've colored that shell - looks fab!