Thursday, September 4, 2014

Watercolor and Three Challenges

You might want to put your sunglasses on for this one!  Last weekend was a long one so I had plenty of time to check out some challenges and get crafty.  I made this card on Monday and saved it until today to post.  Since I've been on a bit of a watercolor kick lately it should be no surprise that I tried it again on today's card.

I've got a challenge three-fer going on here since I was inspired by the colors, the watercolor background and the butterfly on Vicki's Muse card as well as the layout of the latest Mojo sketch.  (Incidentally I knew it had been a long time since I joined in the Mojo challenge so I looked it up and September 18th of last year was the last time I played along!  I can't believe it's been nearly a year!  Will work on rectifying that because they've always got terrific sketches).  And finally, the icing on the cake, is the AAA Cards challenge which is, you guessed it, watercoloring!



This card came out much brighter than I thought it would.  I used Melon Mambo and Tangerine Tango to watercolor the bigger layer.  Then I used a lot more water with the same colors to create a softer look on the second layer.  Then while it was still wet I put a stencil over it so that the ink would pool around the pattern of the stencil.  That was a little trick I learned the first day of the watercolor Online Card Class and the look is very cool.  The layered butterfly was created with a bit of the leftover watercolored paper and some black card stock.  I love how the bits of black add some nice contrast to the bright colors.

Well that's it for me.  Thanks so much for stopping by!

Supplies:
Stamps:  Words of Wisdom (Verve)
Paper:  Soft Stone (Papertrey Ink); Basic Black (SU); Strathmore watercolor paper
Ink:  Melon Mambo, Tangerine Tango (SU); Onyx Black (Versafine)
Accessories:  Delaney Butterfly die, Cheviot Butterfly die (Poppystamps); Dot Fade stencil (Tim Holtz); Basic Rhinestones (SU)



13 comments:

Ardyth said...

I love how you've combined these challenges while staying true to each one! So glad you joined us at Muse this week!

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

So beautiful!

Cat Craig said...

Your colors are amazing, lovely take on all the challenges.

Angela said...

I totally adore the beautiful bright panels and the sweet butterfly, Jen! Thank you so much for joining us at AAA Cards this week!

Jane said...

Stunning! I love your colours and water colour techniques. Thanks for playing at AAA Cards.

Karren said...

Wow, this is a stunning card, Jen! The watercolor effects are brilliant. I'd forgotten all about the stencil trick - gonna try that today!

Deepti said...

Oh wow! this is gorgeous and u totally nailed it all :)

Darnell said...

It must look brighter IRL, Jen, because it doesn't look that wild on my monitor. To me it looks like gorgeous sunset colors and I love it! Awesome job combining the challenges!! Hugs, Darnell

Hannelie said...

I LOVE the colors you chose Jen! In fact I love everything about your card! So great to see you playing at AAA cards!

wienerhoneymooners said...

Stunning, lovely and gorgeous all in one!!!

Vicki Dutcher said...

Great card for all the challenges! Thanks so much for joining in at Muse! :)

Shona Chambers said...

I don't think its too bright at all, the colours are perfect and blend together beautifully. Its a wonderful CASE of the Muse card and you have coloured it with such detail. Stunning!

Victoria Lavender said...

Wonderful blend of three games! Nice watercolor and assembly. Neat how Vicki is part of two of the games. Thanks for playing with us at AAA Cards, Watercolor. Cheers, Victoria