Tuesday, March 17, 2015

colourQ 283 Redux

Top o' the morning to ya!  It's St. Patrick's day - the day where everyone is Irish even if you're not!  And around these parts it's also Evacuation Day.  A totally made up holiday that just happens to fall on March 17th every year so that anyone who works for the government in Suffolk County can have a day off!  Sadly I work in Bristol County so I'm plugging along at work today. 

But it's also Tuesday, which is also colourQ day.  Due to some technical difficulties the challenge from last week is being extended, so you've still got time to play along.  And the colors just might inspire you to make a card celebrating this green holiday!   I know it did me - at first.



Now don't call me crazy because there is no pot of gold or shamrocks on this card.  And I'm not going to try to convince you that I exercised a little poetic license because I think those flowers look a bit like wilted shamrocks.  Nope, I started out making this card with visions of leprechauns in my head.  I even bought a digital image on Etsy.  But I just wasn't feeling the love from the little bugger so I made this instead.

I made a crafty resolution to myself this year that I was going to try new things.  And one thing that I do horribly is water color and I am determined to do it better.  So I treated myself to some good quality watercolors and used them to color my flowers.  I was trying to be very careful and not create a big muddy mess and I'm pretty happy with the result.  At least I'm encouraged to keep plugging along at it.

The layout for my card comes from the latest Deconstructed Sketch.


Thanks for stopping by.  And don't forget you've got another week to join in the fun at colourQ!

Supplies:
Stamps:  Charming Gardners (a.muse studio); Bright Days (Avery Elle)
Paper:  Kraft (Papertrey Ink); Basic Black, Kiwi Kiss, Smoky Slate (SU); Distress Watercolor Paper (Ranger)
Ink:  Jet Black Archival (Ranger); Onyx Black (Versafine)
Accessories:  Dotted Borders die (Avery Elle); Pierced Fishtail Flags STAX (My Favorite Things); Gansai Tambi watercolors (Kuretake); baker's twine


7 comments:

Hannelie said...

Wow!
Another fabulous design Jen!

Lisa Lara said...

So beautiful Jen and great use of that sketch.

Shelly said...

Beautiful!

Lisa Elton said...

Those are pretty flowers!! This is wonderful Jen!

Petra Swart said...

How beautiful, Jen!!! I love those flowers and your watercolouring is great!!! Lovely use of the colours and the sketch!!!
Have a great day!!!!

Karren said...

I'm finally catching up on my feedly posts, so sorry for the delay in commenting on this beauty! I love the way you've used the colors and great job on the coloring! I bought the Kuretake set about 6 months ago - gorgeous creamy colors, but I really need to practice more.

Deepti said...

This is so elegant :)