Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Freshly Made Sketches 249!

Welcome to Wednesday and another challenge from your friends at Freshly Made Sketches!  This week our hostess is the always-amazing Kim.


I've got to admit that this may be one of the oddest Christmas cards I've ever made.  It's not very Christmas-y I'm afraid and I'm not all that happy with the arrangement of the colors, but it is what it is!  I had been thinking a lot about the design for my card this week and initially a Christmas card wasn't even on my radar.  Then I saw the "CASE the designer" challenge at Global Design Project and for some reason the colors put me in mind of a Christmas card.  I happened to have some ribbon in pink and green and since I don't use ribbon all that much nowadays I decided that I would shake things up by using some.  What a rebel I am!


I recently got some new Christmas supplies for my stash and I really wanted to use this "joy" die.  I wanted to cut it out with some felt but I didn't have the right blue so I cut it three times (for dimension) out of my beloved Baja Breeze.  The top layer I ran across the the edge of my desk a few times to break down the fibers of the paper, then carefully peeled it in half.  This gives the cardstock a wonderful texture very reminiscent of suede - in fact I think this is actually some "sueded paper technique" that I learned many years ago!

Well that's it for me today!  I hope you've got time to play along with Kim's awesome sketch this week.  And you need look no further for inspiration than the Freshly Made Sketches design team.  I hope to see you in the gallery!

Supplies
Paper:  Crumb Cake, Baja Breeze, Whisper White (SU)
Accessories:  Joy die (Concord & 9th); Blueprints 13 die (My Favorite Things); Falling Snow stencil (Simon Says Stamp); Diamond Sparkle Medium (Imagination Crafts); Regal Rose and Old Olive grosgrain ribbon (SU)

11 comments:

Linda Callahan said...

Very chic and modern! Cool for Christmas.....and I might be tempted to use it for a baby boy card too! I love unconventional baby cards!

Lisa Elton said...

Thanks for the paper tip Jen, this is cool!!

Amy O said...

I love these colors for a Christmas card! And I admire your willingness to sacrifice some Baja Breeze. Cute card!

Karren said...

This is a fun, bright and cheerful Christmas card and I'm sure someone in the depths of winter will love to receive this to brighten those dark days :) I think you've used the colors perfectly and created a gorgeous card.

Kim S said...

Such a wonderfully cheerful Christmas card!! I don't think it's "odd" at all - somehow it's peaceful and cheerful all at the same time!

Paula Dobson said...

I love your modern take on Christmas Jen. It is always refreshing to see a Christmas card in non traditional colours. Thanks for playing at Global Design Project with us as we CASE Tanja this week.

Michelle Last said...

You are card is so clean and striking, such a fab interpretation of both sketches. Thanks for joining in this week x

Jen Brum said...

This is a great Christmas card Jen! I love how you've given the "Joy" some texture! I used to do that with a paper crimper! I love the colours and think you've done a great job!!! Very pretty!

Jen Timko said...

I love non-traditional colors so I think it is fantastic. The "JOY" die is awesome!

Narelle Farrugia said...

Super clean and perfect take on the sketch! These colours are ones I wouldn't normally put together for Christmas, but I love them!

Cécile RIBON said...

Another fabulous card of yours ! Lovely design and sweet colors