Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Freshly Made Sketches 355

Well hello!  It's time for a new challenge at Freshly Made Sketches.  This week our sketch is brought to you from Kim.  I went back to basics for this one!



I've been feeling very much like I'm in a card-making slump lately.  Compared to the artistic creations I see from my fellow cardmakers my cards are sorely lacking.  So I decided to go back through some past cards of mine to see if I could dig up some inspiration.  What I found was that back in the old days I cleverly combined layers with patterned paper and texture.  That may not be as interesting as a watercolor background or some expertly colored images, but those cards made me smile.  So I tried to invoke those roots with this card while simultaneously playing along the "back to basics" challenge at As You See It and using the colors from Just Us Girls.


I used Kim's excellent sketch to use some old patterned paper and an embossing folder as my background for the flower.  I cut one of the die cut flowers and used the dainty outline then cut it again and kept the insides of the flower petals.  I layered the two together, embossed the sentiment on a slim black layer, and I was done.

Thanks for stopping by!  My Freshly Made Sketches teamies have got some great cards to inspire you to play along with us this week.  I hope we'll see you in the gallery!

Supplies
Stamps:  Thank You Kindly (Stampin' Up!)
Paper:  Basic Gray, Calypso Coral, Urban Garden DSP (Stampin' Up!); Black Licorice (My Favorite Things); Solar White (Neenah)
Ink:  White (WPlus9)
Accessories:  Tilth Floral die (Memory Box); Cracked embossing folder (Tim Holtz); enamel dots (Freckled Fawn); crochet thread

12 comments:

Amy O said...

A pretty card with lots of interest. I love the embossed background and the layers on the flower. Beautifully done, Jen!

Kim S said...

I am so with you on the slump and looking for inspiration because it's definitely not coming from all the watercoloring and blending that's out there!! I love where you went this. It's a fabulous flower and the embossing just frames it perfectly!

Linda Callahan said...

No slump girl....the embossed background is wonderful with your flower! Love the colors you used as well!

Heather Cooper said...

Love that embossed background ! Thanks for sharing it with us at As You See It Challenge!

Stampingcountry said...

Sweet Back to the Basics Card! Love the cheerful patterns and colors backing your daisy.

Jan Clothier said...

Lovely layering and a beautiful die-cut flower. Thank you for joining us again at As You See It, Jen.

LeAnne said...

I feel the same way, Jen....I feel like I can't quite find my stamping niche and my past cards seem so much more interesting!! Not like I don't have enough supplies, right?! Anyway, this is fun and big and bold and I love it! Thanks for playing with us at As You See It!

Lisa Elton said...

Love the interest the embossed panel adds Jen, this is lovely! I'm with you, stick with what you love and what makes you happy. I for one enjoy patterned paper on cards! I love your work and am always inspired when I stop by your blog. Keep up the good work ;)

Bobby said...

Going back to basics is sometimes a good thing, Jen, and this lovely card is a perfect example. I love the touch of patterned paper and the wonderful embossing. Thanks for sharing your card with us at Just Us Girls.

Jen Brum said...

I love this card Jen! I love that big white daisy and the embossed background! They're so pretty and those colours look amazing together! Definitely a beautiful card!

Karren said...

Your back-to-basics card is fabulous and made me smile, too! It's been a long time since I used a big piece of patterned paper - normally I just use strips. This is so cool!

Hannelie said...

Your cards never lack anything Jen! All beautiful just like this one! Going back to older cards for inspiration is such a great idea!