Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Freshly Made Sketches 22

Do you ever start to make a card with a very clear idea in your head how it's going to end up and then somehow you end up changing your mind a million times?  It seems like I've been telling this story a lot lately, but this is what happened to me with my card for the latest Freshly Made Sketch designed by the very talented Jennifer Timko.



I had been pondering what I was going to do with this sketch when I accidentally knocked a box of cards off a shelf in my stamp room.  The cover came off the box and inside was the inspiration for this card - only the colors were completely different.  But I decided to go with the basic design - altered for this sketch.  I'm a huge fan of earthy colors so I used the Woodland Walk designer paper and some Crumb Cake, Chocolate Chip, and Wild Wasabi cardstock.

Then the real trouble began.  I cut out some flowers in Very Vanilla from with my Tattered Florals Sizzix die and stamped it with French Script.  I crumpled the flowers then put them all together with an Antique Brad.  Then I put them against all my cardstock layers and experienced that moment when you realize that you've made a huge tactical error and the flower you've just spent time primping and getting "just so" looks awful.

I tried spritzing it with some Log Cabin Smooch Spritz (which actually looked pretty good) but I decided in the end that my frustration came from the fact that this card lacked color.  So I cut out some more Tattered Florals flowers with some designer paper from the Sweet Pea paper pack, crumpled them and hooked them all together with the Antique Brad.  I added a "happy birthday" sentiment from Something to Celebrate.  Finally a card I could be happy with!

I'm quite sure you didn't come here to read this mini-novel, but rather to hear me gush about the Freshly Made Sketches design team, which has again created some amazing inspiration for you.  So be sure to stop on by and say hello, then head on back to Freshly Made Sketches and show us what you've got.  I can't tell you how amazed we are each week at all the gorgeous creations we get to see!



13 comments:

Linda Callahan said...

I love all of your flowers! But I am so glad to hear that someone else goes through that trial and error period :) This is lovely!

Lesley said...

Ah yes! I've done that with many flowers! They are in my "unused" flower bin, waiting for a new home. Pretty card Jen!

Jen Timko said...

This is wonderful, Jen! I have a few of those laying around too. I can't wait to see when it shows up again! :-) The pop of color is perfect!

Kim S said...

The color DEFINITELY works!!

Rita W said...

I love that flower, Jen. That must be an awesome die to own. Hmmm... :o)

My Creative Side said...

I was the same with the card Jen. I changed it up at the last minute!!! I love your card, your flower is absolutely gorgeous!

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

Jen love this card and that DSP was one of my FAVS! Love it. Your flower looks perfect with these colors and I'm not the first to say I'm sure there are many premade flowers, bows, etc. waiting for just the right card to go on.... so glad your flower found a good home. hugs.

Vicky Hayes said...

I think you were so right to go with that splash of colour Jen. The card has turned out beautifully!

None None said...

Jen - I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one who can spend a hour or more trying to make a card only to have the final version look nothing like what I originally had in mind. But like in nature, pops of color accent the earthy tones - so your card is gorgeous! I love the dimension it has

Tui Nathan said...

Oh yes ... the splash of colour on your gorgeous flower is perfection for this card! Love it ....

Aileen said...

Love the soft colours. They go lovely with the soft flower. x

Lisa Elton said...

So pretty Jen! Love the polka dot panels and your pretty bloom!

Unknown said...

This is SO fabulous! But i have had that same experience, all the sudden it's like a red flashing light goes off- "not right, NOT RIGHT!" LOL, I really like the way the card ended up, the pop of fresh green & the color of the flower you made really sets it off. :)