Sunday, November 27, 2011

CCMC177 and Paper Players 74

I wanted to make a holder for a CD that I got for my nephew for Christmas.  The color challenge this week at Create With Connie and Mary gave me the perfect colors to make a masculine-inspired project.  Then I thought it would be fun to adapt the sketch challenge at The Paper Players to fit the CD.



A funny thing happened on my way to making this project.  I was typing away at this post and uploaded the picture only to realize that I used Sahara Sand instead of River Rock.  Argh!  I hate when I do that!  So back I go to recreate the holder in the correct color.  It actually was a little blessing in disguise because my original had a design flaw that was bugging me so this gave me the opportunity to fix it.

The long Night of Navy and Lucky Limeade layer is actually a belly band and the tilted layer and the to/from tag are attached to it so that whole thing slides off to get at the CD inside.  The tree is from Perfect Presentation which I inked up in Lucky Limeade then embossed with clear EP.  I mounted it on my tilted layer which I tried to dress up with a bit of faux stitching.  In real life it's kind of muddy and I wish I hadn't done it, but I'm sure my nephew won't be so critical!  The tag is from the aptly named To & From Tag and I added the button and baker's twine to jazz it up a bit.  I followed a tip from Nance at Canopy Crafts about using a straight image on a tilted panel, which I like very much!

Thanks for stopping by!

15 comments:

Julie Marshall said...

Jen, this is just fabulous! I love that you took the sketch and turned it into something other than a card. Great use of the sketch and the colors. So glad you joined us this week at the Paper Players!

Ann Schach said...

What an adorable cd holder, Jen! I love the faux stitching...it just sets off the panel so well! Plus, the straight image on the tilted panel looks so cool! Thanks for playing with The Paper Players!

Sue said...

Wow this is better than spiders har har just love the CD holder the colours are stunning Luv Sue x

Nance Leedy said...

Aren't you the clever girl?! Love that you made something other than a card with the sketch! Great use of the colors--I think the stitching is a great touch! Love your straight image on the titled panel--thanks for the shout-out! So glad you joined us at CCMC and The Paper Players!

Erna Logtenberg said...

this is gorgeous Jen!

Vicky Hayes said...

These colours make the CD holder look very smart Jen. I like your faux stitching but if your nephew is anything like mine he won't notice it anyway!!!

Deb said...

Great idea to make a CD holder! The layout is wonderful and I love the simplicity of your card! Great job!! Thanks for playing the challenge at Create with Connie and Mary!

Lisa Martz said...

Great idea...so many things you can do with this CD folder. Love the clean and simple design. Thanks for playing the Create with Connie & Mary Challenge this week!

Susan Joyce said...

Fantastic presentation for a Christmas Present Jen. Love you cute little Christmas Tree image. Thanks' for playing at The Paper Players this week.

Mary Brown said...

How simply delightful! I love the clean lines of your card and your use of the colors! Thanks for joining us this week for the Create with Connie and Mary Thursday Challenge!

Debbie Henderson said...

What a great CD holder you have created! I love the belly-band idea to tie it all up! Thanks for playing with us at CCMC!

Carrie Gaskin said...

Fantastic! I love your design and yes, that is a great tip about the angled image. Thanks! So glad you played with the CCMC challenge this week!

Lesley said...

Love this CD holder Jen, how fun! Great use of the colours and the sketch my friend. Thanks for joining us at the Paper Players.

Anne Marie Hile said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who mixes up Sahara Sand and River Rock, on occasion. Haha! What a fun project, Jen! I really like the tip about the straight image on a tilted panel, too. Very fun! Thanks for joining us this week at the Paper Players! :)

Tara Bilbao said...

Wow I love the clean crisp look of this card. This would be a perfect workshop make and take. Fantastic.