Thursday, October 20, 2011

ColourQ 107 and Viva La Verve

It was only a matter of time before I stumbled on a color challenge that would give me an excuse to ink up my new Gently Falling stamp set.  This week's challenge at the ColourQ was just the thing.

Isn't that a great bunch of colors?  Since there's a big "boo" in the image graphic, my first thought was to make a Halloween card, but then I thought it would be more fun to transform these colors into something different.  And of course, I needed an interesting sketch to turn my idea into a reality.  I chose one of the October Viva La Verve challenges.

The other day, I confessed to having a fascination for leaf stamps.  I didn't even know that I had one until I realized that I owned two sets of leafy stamps:  French Foliage and Autumn Splendor.  Then to my surprise the Holiday Mini came out and it had another leaf stamp Gently Falling and I found myself captivated by it and all the cards I'd seen made with it.  It was a given that I would need that stamp set!


I really like how this turned out.  Quite often when I sit down to make a card, I have a vague idea what I want it to look like, but my process is somewhat fluid in that I decide a lot of the elements as I progress.  I started this card out as nothing more than an Early Espresso base and a bit of designer paper from the Berry Blossoms set.   Where I ended up with the Pumpkin Pie circles I originally wanted to use the Curly Label punch but it was too big.  Then I had grand ideas of circles, but realized my fussy-cut leaves would substitute just as well for one of them.  I even changed my mind about the sentiment a couple of times before ending up with this one from Posy Punch.

The whole process is one of the things I love about creating cards.  I can start with a simple idea and let the whole thing evolve.  I guess the creative process is part of the reason why we all do what we do when we sit down (or stand, as is often the case) to create.  I love what I do and I hope you do too!

Thanks so much for stopping by today and for reading my ramblings!

10 comments:

Erna Logtenberg said...

your card is great Jen! I'm working on this challenge too with Gently Falling :-)

Vicky Hayes said...

Another great leaf set! I have to admit to being a leaf fiend too!

Kim O'Connell said...

Oh! I just love your take on that sketch, Jen! Very pretty!

Sylvia said...

Wow! I love this card, Jen. The leaves and the layout are fabulous. Thanks for joining us at the ColourQ this week.

Linda Callahan said...

Absolutely fabulous! I love your style - you have such a talent in making a beautiful statement with the simplest detail!

Deborah Frings said...

I love this card, I think the green is wonderful and zingy!! the autumnal leaves are super!

Allison said...

This is gorgeous! Love the leaves and the orange circles at the side! Turned out fabulous!

Kim P said...

GORGEOUS!! The pop of orange (umm, pumpkin pie) with those circles was a touch of genius! Great job combining the challenges!

Anita Scroggins said...

Great Card Jen! Love the leaves - so many great fall uses! Thanks for playing along with us at ColourQ this week!!!

savvy teaching tips said...

I love this card. It's totally cute. Thanks for joining us at Colour Q this week.