Monday, November 26, 2012

Happy Holidays for DD#30 and rs39

I loved the blue and silver color challenge at Dynamic Duos (it's one of my favorite Christmas color combos) so I rolled up my sleeves this weekend to get busy with it.  But as sometimes these things go, my card looked way better in my head.  I had big plans for these colors along with the sketch from retro sketches, but I couldn't get them to translate to my card.  I'll admit that this is growing on me, I just wish it had more pizzazz!



The silver frame and sentiment are actually embossed but they probably don't look like it.  In fact, they don't look like it in real life either.  I think I discovered a strange phenomenon when I did this.  I stamped and embossed the outline of the shape first as I usually do and it looked perfect.  Then I rubbed my embossing buddy over it again (I always use the embossing buddy), stamped and embossed the sentiment.  But when I heated it, instead of melting into the familiar raised, shiny design it seemed to melt completely into the cardstock.  Even the frame that I embossed first seems to have melted a bit more too.  In real life it looks like I stamped it with silver ink.  I've never seen anything like it.  I'm not sure if two "layers" of the dust from the embossing buddy had something to do with this weird effect or not.  It actually doesn't look bad, it's just not what I expected.

Anyhoo, I've only got a couple of days left on my vacation {that sound you hear is me sobbing} so a bit later this morning I'm going on a field trip to the new Hobby Lobby store that opened nearby in Warwick, Rhode Island. Around here we only have Michaels and AC Moore (neither one of which I like) and I keep hearing great things about Hobby Lobby so I thought I'd check it out.

Thanks for stopping by!

7 comments:

Christy Lynn said...

Maybe your silver embossing powder is old? I don't use mine much and I think after a while it just doesn't quite work the same as it did when it was new. Your card still looks pretty anyway.

Enjoy the Hobby Lobby! They do have some different stuff than Michael's, and some very nice sales too. Lots of decorating stuff.

Unknown said...

I really like the CAS style of this card. The colors are beautiful and that bow is so pretty! I hope you enjoy Hobby Lobby...it is a wonderful store!

Colorado Crafter said...

Very pretty card!! I love blue and silver, too!

I hope you like your new Hobby Lobby. We don't have AC Moore here and I've never shopped in one, but when I see their ads and coupons I always think it must be a good store. But, now that you've said you don't like them, I don't feel so deprived! LOL!! Hobby Lobby is OK... at least they have some different things than Michaels. We have Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Joann's and Archiver's here. I can't say that any of them are what I would like them to be... I could certainly list their faults! And if I could just be a buyer for them I'd make their stores so much better! LOL!! But, between them all I sure end up spending more than I should even considering their limited inventories.

Unknown said...

I've had that happen a time or two..okay..more then that. I always come up with these great ideas, usually in the middle of the night, and then sit down to work on them only to find out it wasnt such a great idea after all. Personally I love the clean look of your card. The little pop of silver is perfect. I'm glad you played along with us at Dynamic Duos.

Vicky Hayes said...

I think your card has loads of pizzazz in a little black dress kind of way - you know, quiet elegance. I'm intrigued about the embossing!

Anonymous said...

That's interesting about the double embossing. I think your card is really lovely. The blue is so pretty with the silver and that beautiful bow, and I love the label and sentiment you used. So glad you could join us for Dynamic Duos. ;-)

Unknown said...

Well, whatever happened with the embossing doesn't really matter, because your card is stunning. It is so elegant yet simple and I love the gorgeous bow. Thanks for joining us this week at Dynamic Duos.