Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Freshly Made Sketches 387

We've got a great new sketch for you at Freshly Made Sketches this week.  Our hostess is Cécile and her designs always make me swoon! 


True confession:  I was trying to be a bit artsy with my card so that I could keep it one layer and play along with the challenge at Less is More.  The problem I found was that aspect ratio of the images was all wrong!  The vertical images were too long and the floral image was too small!  So I started again with more disastrous results involving graduation images I bought on Etsy.  After a few ideas I gave up and decided to go with my original card!  And a special bonus is that I can join in the "Mother" challenge at CASology as well as the challenge at Try Stampin' On Tuesday where I did a bit of masking to make sure that my flower was nestled in with the vertical stripes.



Thanks for stopping by!  My Freshly Made Sketches teamies have made some fabulous cards this week to inspire you to play along with us.  I hope we'll see you in the gallery!

Supplies
Stamps:  Painted Flowers (Altenew); Mixed Media Elements (Stamplorations); Keep It Simple Mother (Papertrey Ink)
Paper:  Solar White Neenah)
Ink:  Smoky Slate, Pretty in Pink, Regal Rose (Stampin' Up!); Nocturne (Versafine Clair)

16 comments:

Linda Callahan said...

Well I would say you did artsy just fine! I love the simple elegance of this card!

Lisa Elton said...

It looks good to me Jen! I like the pretty pink bloom!

Amy O said...

Those one-layer cards are hard! Masking has never been my forte, but you make it look easy. Beautiful card, Jen!

Heather said...

Good save, Jen - so glad your travels made it so that we got to have you join us! Love your take on our challenge - so sophisticated for a one-layer card - I bow down! Thanks so much for playing at TSOT!

Jen Brum said...

This is such a great card Jen! I just love your stripes and that beautiful flower! It's just gorgeous and perfect for Mother's Day!

Donna Scholz said...

Thank you for sharing your creativity with us at Try Stampin' on Tuesday, Jen! Your flower nestled in among the stripes is a great job of masking! I like the way your used gray ink for the "Mother's Day" part of the sentiment. It grounds the sentiment with the stripes really well! -Donna

Sharon Traynor Designs said...

This is absolutely gorgeous Jen. No-one would have known that you struggled with it! Those neutral tones provide a perfect backdrop for the pretty rose with it' pop of colour. Thank you so much for playing along with us at Less is More xx

Neets B said...

Although not as you originally intended, it's a truly beautiful card. Love the design, and the pink and grey is a winning colour combo, so pretty.
Thanks so much for sharing with us at Less is More, Anita x

Claire said...

My guess you'll win every one of those challenges with this beauty Jen - stunning! Love how you've used that Altenew bloom (I have the same set and never do it justice!)

Nora Noll said...

This is so pretty!! I Love the gray with the red flower. Totally POPS!!

Carol L said...

I'm glad you stayed with your original idea, because this turned out to be a wonderful card, just perfect for a mother's day celebration today! Great take on the sketch with that delicate flower and the soft background! I like :)

Jacquie Southas said...

I love the gray brushstrokes, Jen! They pair beautifully with the pink flower. Thanks for playing along with CASology this week!

Karren said...

I love reading how your cards came to be (or not be as the case may be!) . This card is just gorgeous - the stripes add such an artistic look. Great job!

Janet a.k.a. swanlady21 said...

A wonderful card to combine all those challenges. Love the light touch of pink amid the grey. Thanks for joining in the fun and celebrating mothers at CASology this week.

Melissa said...

Beautifully done, Jen! Love the pop of pink against the gray and one-layer is always a favorite! ;)
Thanks so much for playing along with us over at CASology!

Cécile RIBON said...

Wow! Jen! This is so striking! I totally love this gorgeous CAS design with this artsy rose over the brush-stroke background.