Thursday, June 6, 2019

CAS(E) This Sketch 325

Our new sketch at CAS(E) This Sketch got me thinking about a technique that I've never tried before.  The sketch has six buttons but I was thinking less about buttons and more about something that resembled a quilt!



I have long admired, but never tried, the technique of using dies to emboss rather than cut.  I watched a couple of "how-to" videos on YouTube, both with slightly different sandwiches using a BigShot, and tried them both.  I settled on one that gave a slightly deeper impression that I hoped would be more visible in a photo.  This particular die had shapes in the middle of those embossed squares so I ran the die back through the traditional way and cut those shapes in a bright yellow and adhered them to them the squares.  One of the squares was blank so I chose that one to stamp a simple sentiment - not exactly in keeping with the sketch but close!

I recently came across a new-to-me challenge called Watercooler Wednesday.  They've got a feminine challenge this week and I couldn't help but think that a woman, especially one who makes quilts, would appreciate this card.


Thanks for stopping by!  My CAS(E) This Sketch teammates have got some fantastic designs to inspire to you play along with us.  I hope you'll join us in the gallery!

Supplies
Stamps:  Hashtag Everything (Papertrey Ink)
Paper:  Solar White (Neenah); Pineapple Punch (Stampin' Up!)
Ink:  Nocturne (Versafine Clair)
Accessories: Blueprints 20 die (My Favorite Things)

4 comments:

Shelly said...

Fabulous card! I haven't tried embossing with dies either. Though, after seeing your creation I may just have to try and see. ;)

Nora Noll said...

This is lovely. I like the clean look with the embossing and the pop of yellow.

Lisa Elton said...

Your quilt turned out great Jen, this is lovely!

Dawn T said...

stunning take on the sketch Jen. Love the quilted look.
Thanks for joining us at Watercooler Wednesday Challenge this week.
Dawn ~DT