Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Freshly Made Sketches 177

I can hardly believe it's Wednesday but the calendar doesn't lie!  And, of course, since it's Wednesday there's a brand new sketch for you at Freshly Made Sketches.  This week our hostess is Karren and I can see a lot of possibilities with this sketch!



I had an idea to do a watercolor background then stamp the outline of these flower stamps on top.  Then I remembered that I stink at watercoloring so I stamped a bunch of grungy images to fill up the background and layered my floral outline over them instead.  Then I had an idea to scrunch up some thread and stick it behind the sentiment layer as a substitute for the circle on the sketch.  I didn't count on the fact that the black thread would be lost against the black outline of my flowers.  But rest assured it is there!

The colors for my card come from the challenge at The Paper Players.  I nearly forgot the Wild Wasabi but they're there in the tiny enamel dots!


Please head on over to Freshly Made Sketches to get some inspiration from our fabulous design team and all the details about how you can play along with the challenge.  I hope you can join us in the gallery this week!

Thanks for stopping by!

Supplies:
Stamps:  Gorgeous Grunge (SU); Artful Flowers (Simon Says Stamp); Jumbo Abstract Art (My Favorite Things); Label Love (Altenew)
Paper:  Classic Ivory (Flourishes); Kraft (Papertrey Ink); Naturals White (Neenah)
Ink:  So Saffron, Crisp Cantaloupe (SU); Onyx Black (Versafine)
Accessories:  enamel dots (Studio Calico); black thread

23 comments:

Linda Callahan said...

Love the split panel and how you stamped the flower outlines over your stamped splotches! Great effect!

Greta said...

Beautiful use of the colors & I love the grunge stamping as the background for the outline flowers!

Petra Swart said...

Your card is simply stunning, Jen!!! Love, love, LOVE it!!! The watercolour bg is awesome with the stamped flowers on it!!! I love the flowers and it's the perfect stamp to go with your bg!!! This is really beautiful, Jen!!!!
Have a great day!!!!

Cindy Lovell said...

Very,very pretty Jen!!! I LOVE the splatters and the outlined flowers!! SO pretty!!!

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

This is so soft and pretty Jen! Thank you for the inspiration over at FMS! Hazel x

Shelly said...

This is sooo pretty!

Kara said...

beautiful card design!!

Happy Dance said...

Saw this DT card over at FMS. I was seriously wowed. Gob-smacked, as they say... It's brilliant. LOVE everything about it, including the black thread. This is a real masterpiece! Bev

Lisa Elton said...

Holy smokes Jen, what a brilliant idea to combine all of the grunge images for your fabulous background!!! I LOVE THIS CARD!

Karren said...

I had to laugh at your comment about remembering you stink at watercoloring. Too funny! Your alternative though looks pretty darned good and I love the flowers stamped over the top. Very cool card!

stampwithsandy said...

You make me laugh Jen; I am sure you do NOT stink at watercoloring! Love how you used the sketch and the negative space for the center panel. I also love how you scrunched up the thread. I stink at that! Always happy to see you in the gallery at The Paper Players!

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

What a fresh card Jen - love the grunge fill for the outline flowers. The layout adds real interest and the sparing amount of green really accentuates it. Thanks for joining us for our colour challenge over at The Paper Players this week!

Deepti said...

Oh my goodness! This is so pretty :) love it

Nance Leedy said...

Jen, I am speechless. This card is jaw-dropping! Love the split panel and the outline over the grunge stamping. Absolutely gorgeous! So glad you joined us at The Paper Players!

Jen Brum said...

Such a pretty card Jen! I love the watercolour background then those silhouettes over top! Such a great idea! I'm loving those springy colours!

Claire said...

This caught my eye straight away at FMS - it's a stunner! Your post made me laugh...I hadn't noticed the black thread until you mentioned it!

Amy O said...

You may think you stink at watercoloring (I disagree), but you do grunge perfectly. I love the look you've achieved here with the outlined flowers. Beautiful!

Kelly S. said...

I love how this looks...thought it was patterned paper! Gorgeous colors and watercoloring with this sketch!

Chrissie said...

This is absolutely stunning Jen, I can't wait for these stamps to arrive, I must look back at this for inspiration!
Chrissie xx

Rita W said...

LOL I bet you don't really suck at watercoloring, but I like your substitute a lot! Such a fun take on the sketch.

Narelle Farrugia said...

hahaha - I just tried watercolouring yesterday and binned it within 30 seconds. I suck at watercolouring and don't think I'll be trying that again soon! I love the softness you've given your card - you really are a clever stamper!

Cindy Hall said...

LOL! I highly doubt that you "stink" at any creative endeavor! I think that using the splatters was just another of your strokes of genius. I love the way you split the panels and the wisp of black thread. I had to enlarge my screen to study this one "up close and personal"!

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I love the artsy feel of your tag. Blessings!