Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Freshly Made Sketches 53

Wednesday is, of course, the start of a new challenge at Freshly Made Sketches.  Last week was our anniversary challenge and I was completely blown away by all the entries in the gallery and all the nice things people had to say about Freshly Made Sketches. It certainly seems like the concept of a fresh and clean card is something everyone can wrap their head around!  Now onward to another year of amazing challenges and an amazing gallery!

This week, Tui has engineered another challenge that had me thinking sideways, upside down, right side up and everywhere in between!  Take a look at this:



This is another example of a card that looked way better in my head than in the execution of it.  And I think the ladies at FMS might give me an "F" on it, because I totally messed up all the vertical stripes.  It may be hard to believe but I actually spent a lot of time thinking about how I wanted this card to go.  It was at work that I got the bright idea to use the Silver Glimmer paper and to make a poinsettia from one of the leaves in French Foliage. Somewhere along the way, I thought that if I made vertical strips of the glimmer paper placed just so, it would give the illusion of vertical strips of paper between them.  Not so, it turns out.  But it was too late to start over so I went with it.

I tried to jazz up the poinsettia with some smooch spritz but it didn't come out quite as shimmery as I wanted.  A quick look in the catty just now has revealed why:  I think I used Vanilla Shimmer instead of Silver Foil.  It does have a nice shimmer in real life, but I think the silver would have been a better choice.

And in their usual crafty way, the Freshly Made Sketches design team has interpreted this sketch in a variety of cool and interesting ways so be sure to pop on by for some inspiration.

Thanks for stopping by and here's to another great year of sketches!!


16 comments:

Rita W said...

Strips or no strips, it's gorgeous. :) I love the sparkle of the silver with the red.

Jen Timko said...

Nope, I'm sorry but you get an A!! I love the illusion of extra strips and that flower is so pretty! Wonderful use of the sketch!

Linda Suarez said...

Hi Jen! I think your card is beautiful! And I did initially think you had red strips between the silver shimmer. That poinsettia is beautiful too, very eye-catching! You knocked it outta the park!

Marisa said...

Fabulous leaf poinsettia!! Love the sparkle too :)

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love the card! It is so elegant looking. I will be casing this for sure!
Gale S.

Vicky Hayes said...

I think it looks great with those vertical stripes as you've done it Jen. Love those leaves as poinsettias too - they have a lovely texture to them.

Linda Callahan said...

So sophisticated and glam! Love it!

Jen Brum said...

Like we'd ever give you an F! Your card is beautiful! Love that glimmer and bling! What a fantastic Christmas card!

Hofkissed said...

This card is awesome! It caught my eye right away and just love how you used the leaf from French Foliage!

Ann Schach said...

I think your card is gorgeous! An A+ from me for creative use of French Foliage!

Allisa said...

A+ from me as well! Stunning card!

Cindy Hall said...

What a beautiful CAS card! I love the poinsettia and the use of the glimmer paper. Really gorgeous!

Tui Nathan said...

This is fabulous Jen .... I love the glamour that comes from the glimmer paper it highlights that flower so beautifully and yes .... I GET the illusion - it works and it's clever! Awesome job!!!

Jen Sannes said...

Jen, this is LOVELY! That shimmer paper is gorgeous and your poinsettia is perfect. I love the rhinestones, too!

Aileen said...

Your flower looks brill made up from the leaves. All the sparkle must look fab in real life. x

Ellen Taylor said...

Fabulous card! Love the sparkle!