Friday, February 8, 2013

Muse #3 and Mojo 279

I wasn't at all sure that I was up to the Muse challenge this week (or ever).  I've never actually participated in an "inspiration" challenge because I'm more of a literal kind of girl.  Give me a sketch and I'm on it.  A color challenge and you need do nothing but point me to the ink pads.  But an inspiration picture makes me  hyperventilate because I can't decide between color, layout, theme or some overwhelming combination of all three.  But I was determined to overcome this irrational fear and participate in my first ever challenge that was inspired by someone else's card.



To point out the obvious, my card is the one on top and it was inspired by this incredible beauty by Laurie Willison.  And in order to make my card, I decided to focus on the colors of Laurie's card and made mine with some Lucky Limeade, Tangerine Tango and So Saffron.  The layout of my card follows (almost exactly) the Mojo sketch.  And what's fun about this is that it is not just a card, but it is a gift card holder!


Inside this little card is a pocket for a gift card!  I actually made this for my sister who needed a couple of gift card holders and I thought it would be fun to take a sketch that is normally used for a card and adapting it for a gift card holder.  I'm really pleased with how this came out!

I happen to live in Massachusetts and there is a pretty big snow storm heading my way for Friday and Saturday.  Thursday morning the weather forecasts were calling for about a foot of snow and as the day went on the snow totals were steadily climbing.  When I talked to my sister in the evening she said that some people may see three feet of snow.  She wasn't sure which people, but I'm hoping that I'm not one of them!

We're expecting blizzard conditions and the experts are warning that there's a good chance that we'll lose power but I'm praying that doesn't happen.  In any event, if you are in the path of the storm I hope that you stay safe and that you weather the storm with no serious complications!

32 comments:

Suzie McFloozy said...

Jen this is fantastic - a great take on Laurie's card. I love that you made a little card for a gift card - so cute x
((hugs)) Suzie xoxo

Kim S said...

I agree with you on inspiration challenges - I just never know where to start!! But you do seem to do very well with them - your card is lovely!!! Good luck with the snow...wish you could send some out here to Colorado!

Jackie Rockwell said...

WOW, Jen you should participate more in card inspiration challenges! You ROCKED this one!!! I love everything about this card.

I thought I would be a little overwhelmed using a card as inspiration too. Then I figured out that I can just narrow it down to just 1 or 2 elements.

Jackie Rockwell said...

Oh, I'm in New England too and expecting the blizzard to hit soon. Stay safe and warm!!! :)

Ardyth said...

Beautiful take on the inspiration! I'm in Toronto, and the storm's here, just on it's way to you, but I hear you'll be getting even more snow than we are - stay safe!

Janice said...

Beautiful card! Stay safe in the storm, I live in southwest Chicago and so far .... fingers crossed, we have missed.

maria f. said...

Happy snow (I hope) and your card makes me think of anything but! It is gorgeous - you've captured the feel of Laurie's perfectly. Light, airy, springy, cheer-full.

Katie Melhus said...

This card is lovely, a complete success! I know exactly what you mean about "inspiration" cards, I find it harder when not strictly pointed in one direction, but you totally rocked this one.

-katie

PS...can I come over when you and Mr. Gosling are organizing your paper stash? Sounds AMAZING ;)

Unknown said...

Oh Jen, You nailed this one..perfect take on Laurie's card. LOVE it!

Marisa said...

Way to work the Verve! Lovely card and you used Laurie's inspiration fabulously :) Have heard about the storm coming your way - stay safe!

Kristie Goulet said...

You certainly nailed this one Jen! Perfect take on Laurie's card! I love it!
Stay safe in the storm.

Carole said...

Well you really rocked this challenge. It is gorgeous, crisp clean and spot on. With that forecast...just stay home and craft! http://carolescreativecritters.blogspot.com/

Happy Dance said...

You nailed this challenge! This is an amazing card. Love everything about it! Stay safe in the storm. Perfect day for paper crafting! Bev

Allisa said...

You did a fabulous job with the inspiration photo! Stay warm!

Stempelomi said...

lovely card!

Patti P. said...

Gorgeous...love the huge flower and leaves. You did a great job with your interpretation.
Hope you don't get hit too hard or at least keep power.
Stay safe....

Sandy said...

I really like the way you did your card, its so pretty. It is a great challenge to try something out of our comfort zone and you rocked it.. Stay warm the blizzard looks bad. Stay safe.
Sandy :)

Meg said...

I love your card! I think we are sending the storm your way - I live in Ottawa (Ontario) and yesterday we got hit with 30 cm of snow which is over a foot of snow. I wsn't too upset as it will do the ski hills some good and all the buses were cancelled at school ( I am a teacher!); I actually got some marking done! Anyway, I love your card and visit your blog all the time for inspiration. Thanks.

Brandi said...

This turned out great!!!

Laurie said...

Jen I am so glad you overcame your fears! Your card is beautiful! Thanks for playing at Muse this week!

Notes by Nina said...

Beautiful card, I love your flower and the fantastic colours.

Darnell said...

Sometimes all I can say is, "Pinned perfection." This is such a winner in my book, Jen!

I know you got hammered and I hope you haven't lost power and your warm and cozy inside with all the necessary comforts for the weekend!

Grá O'Neill said...

Great giftcard holder, love the button :)

Kay Miller said...

Wow! This is really pretty! For not knowing where to start on an inspirational challenge, you sure did a wonderful job! Love everything!

Anonymous said...

Your card is lovely, Jen. ;-) You did a fantastic job with this inspiration challenge!

Hope you all stay safe during the storm. Sending best wishes your way!

Lyndal said...

Gorgeous interpretation Jen - LOVE your flower :)

Marion said...

Simply stunning Jen. Love your interpretation of Laurie's card!

Rita T said...

Glad you stepped out of your comfort zone - your card is lovely. Great idea to use as a gift card holder.

Vicki Dutcher said...

Fabulous! Congrats on yet another WIN! I am seeing your name and cards alot :)

Geri said...

Congrats Jen! You are just rockin' and rollin'...so totally deserving of the recognition!

aworkofheart said...

Congratulations Jen on winning at the Muse. Your card is absolutely stunning!! I love the way you made it into a gift too, what a clever idea. I too love using the sketches from Mojo Monday blog, they are so talented over there! I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future. Maybe you might pop over and see some of mine. Again, a huge congratulations...Your a star!

Darnell said...

I'm so happy that everyone agreed with me that your card was a winner at MUSE, Jen! Congratulations!!